Today, there has been an unprecedented increase in the number of project management methodologies right since the digital age has arrived. With this, we see an endless number of available options. Although more options are always great, it causes huge confusion in selecting the right one for individuals. In such cases, individuals and businesses need to analyze their business requirements to implement the appropriate methodology that best suits their needs.
Technically, endless businesses fail due to the lack of knowledge on which methodologies to use. This eventually results in an extensive low output and a poor experience with project management methodologies as a whole.
“Games don’t make you violent, lag does.”
Furthermore, today the world revolves around Specificity. One cannot implement the same methodology that suits and is used in different organizations. Hence, this guide. Here is a comprehensive guide that states the different Project Management Methodologies For outsource game development that you can use this year!
What is Project Management Methodology?
Before moving ahead on the different types of project management methodologies, you must know what a project management methodology is. To be quite precise, it is a method by which you can carry out a certain project.
Here, the set of processes consist of a unique way in terms of planning, implementing, and controlling projects.
“A methodology is a systematic practise of several techniques, procedures, and regulations used by individuals who work in discipline.”
How to Select the Correct Project Management Methodologies?
Let’s look at how you can take the decision of choosing the appropriate project management methodologies ahead.
- Determine the potential metrics that are to be affected by the technique
- Spot the variables that are significant for your project
- Make a comparison between project management methodologies with every variable of the project
- Look into what is the perfect fit by analyzing the risk factor along with processes of every technique with regards to your project
- Execute the methodology in the correct way
- Make sure you take your team on board. Never take this decision solely.
Project Management Methodologies For Game Development
- Waterfall Methodology :
The waterfall technique is a traditional process for project management. Each step is completed and only then one can move on to the next step. Everything is pursued in a linear sequential way. The stage follows the following sequence :
6. Deployment and Maintenance
Like a real waterfall, evolution moves in one direction. And just like a real waterfall, there’s no going back to the previous stage, once it’s conducted, as it might prove to be dangerous. Once a stage is completed, you can only move forward, and not backward at any circumstances to rectify any errors.
One can try this management methodology if :
1. The goal of one’s project is finalised and is not going to change.
2. The stakeholders have confirmed what they want.
3. New people might be required in the middle of the project and they would certainly have to speed up!
4. Project is invariant and reliable.
- Agile Methodology
With the amount of rising disappointment with the sequential linear management system, agile methodology came into the picture.
Unlike Linear supervision, this procedure has no such constraints as waiting for the project to finish off and then review. This method allowed people to revise their project anytime, at any stage they wished. The idea of Agile Project Management has gone on to flash numerous sub-framework and processes such as lean, scrum, and kanban. They all have something familiar.
The fundamental principles of Agile Methodology are :
1. It’s communal.
2. It’s free to data-directed changes.
3. It’s vigorous.
One can try this project management methodology if :
1. One’s project is likely to alter.
2. Investors’ needs add up at every stage.
3. Rapid progress is more crucial than exact results.
4. You are not confident of what the outcomes will look like.
- Scrum Methodology
Scrum is a format, similar to Agile Project Management. It is more like a receptacle than a methodology in itself. In this process, the job is broken into two short cycles known as “sprints” which lasts about a week or two. Work is taken from the heap for each round of sprint.
This project management methodology can be tried if :
- One is aspiring for perpetual advancement in every step.
- Kanban Methodology
Kanban is another method under Agile Project Management. Its origin is from the manufacturing enterprise. The name “Kanban” has matured to signify a frame in which duties are visually depicted as they advance through pillars on a Kanban board.
Kanban is best for giving everyone a synopsis of where each chunk of work stands on a given day and time.
It enables us to see whether jams are at a chance of forming. If it’s noticed that any of the columns are getting congested, it is clear that there are mistakes and that part needs to be revised again. It is also vital to execute work-in-progress maxima when performing as a subsidiary of the Agile Project Management method. This regulates and controls the number of tasks being performed in each column simultaneously. It is very much needed to control and constrain the number of plays at a given point in time.
One might try this type of Project Management Methodology if :
1. One is interested in exemplifying the growth in a graphic form.
2. One expects at-a-glance status of work completed.
3. One allows using WIP thresholds to check the level of completeness.
4. One prefers to work on a continual tug footing.
- Scrumban Methodology
It is a hybrid between the Scrum and the Kanban methodologies. It believes in “pulling” out references from the previous stages of work based on its activity, to help in the current task.
One might want to try this if one demands merits of both the procedures — Scrum and Kanban.
The Bottom Line
We hope by now you are aware of the different types of methodologies for game project management. Choose one that is best suited to your business.